Welcome

Thank you for the thousands of emails in support of the original translations of Japanese Twitter accounts of the March 11th quake on my Facebook note, "Japan Quake as Seen from Twitter". Now, together with ten classmates and friends in the University of Cambridge, I have launched this blog to continue translating the voices of the Japanese people on their road to recovery.
- Jun Shiomitsu -

Friday, March 11, 2011

Total Strangers

My oldest daughter was making her way to Yokohama’s emergency evacuation area.  Total strangers were helping each other out and showing each other the way to the emergency evacuation area.  She told me she was moved at how strangers, who can seem so cold at times, showed her kindness and care.  I was reminded at the Japanese peoples’ inherent ability to immediately unite in the face of adversity.  Today, I have discovered a newfound faith in my nation and my people. 

* 避難所
長女いわく、横浜の避難所に向かう時に、知らない人達と声を掛け合い、場所を教え合っていたそうです。普段は冷たいと思っていた他人の優しさに触れ、感動したそうです。日本人のいざという時の団結力を再認識しました。まだまだ日本も捨てたものではないです。


No comments:

Post a Comment