Welcome

Thank you for the thousands of emails in support of the original translations of Japanese Twitter accounts of the March 11th quake on my Facebook note, "Japan Quake as Seen from Twitter". Now, together with ten classmates and friends in the University of Cambridge, I have launched this blog to continue translating the voices of the Japanese people on their road to recovery.
- Jun Shiomitsu -

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

At Least This Time We Don't Have Bombs

On the train this morning, I overheard two elderly women speaking.  “The police told me I need to turn off the lights because there isn’t enough to go around.”  The other replied, “Oh well, we’ve done this before haven't we, going without lights for country and Emperor.  Of course I’ll do it gladly this time too.  At least this time it’s not like we have bombs falling on our heads!”  There was a moment of respectful silence by all around and I nearly cried.

(Original Japanese Text)
来る時に電車で聞いたおばあちゃんの会話。「警察が電気足りないから電気(灯り)消せって」「私たちは御国のために電気消して過ごすのは慣れてるのよ。今回は頭の上に爆弾降って来るわけじゃないんだもの、喜んで消すわよね」周囲の人々一瞬しん・・・となる。涙が出そうになった。

No comments:

Post a Comment